EGM2008 Model Coefficients - Original Release
The official Earth Gravitational Model EGM2008 has been publicly released by the U.S. National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) EGM Development Team. This model is complete to degree and order 2159, and contains additional spherical harmonic coefficients extending to degree 2190 and order 2159. Full access to the model's coefficients and other descriptive files with additional details about EGM2008 are provided below. Note: Those wishing to use EGM2008 to compute geoid undulation values with respect to WGS 84 may do so using the files available at the EGM2008 - WGS 84 Version website.
Before using any of the data files on this web page, please read the disclaimer.
- README File Describing EGM2008 Coefficients and Associated Files (README_FIRST.pdf)
- Spherical Harmonic Coefficients for Earth's Gravitational Potential - "Zero Tide" system (EGM2008_to2190_ZeroTide.gz - 69 MB)
- Spherical Harmonic Coefficients for Earth's Gravitational Potential - "Tide Free" system (EGM2008_to2190_TideFree.gz - 69 MB)
- Spherical Harmonic Coefficients for Earth's Elevation (Coeff_Height_and_Depth_to2190_DTM2006.0.gz - 49 MB)
- The development and evaluation of the Earth Gravitational Model 2008 (EGM2008) - Nikolaos K. Pavlis, Simon A. Holmes, Steve C. Kenyon, John K. Factor; Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth (1978-2012) Volume 117, Issue B4, April 2012
- EGM2008 JGR Erratum
- EGM Harmonic Synthesis Software and "Test" Coefficient Sets - Contains harmonic synthesis software programs to be used with the EGM2008 coefficients, in addition to test data sets. This software is for testing and DOES NOT reference the WGS 84 Ellipsoid.
- An Earth Gravitational Model to Degree 2160: EGM2008 (NPavlis&al_EGU2008.ppt - 18.5 MB) - Presentation given at the 2008 European Geosciences Union General Assembly held in Vienna, Austria, April13-18, 2008.
- Background Papers from Earlier Symposiums on the New EGM
Please send any questions or comments regarding EGM2008 to:
Dr. Nikolaos Pavlis
NGA, Geodesy and Geophysics Basic and Applied Research
EGM2008 Development Team
phone (314) 676-9127, DSN 846-9127
Document last modified April 29, 2013